This module examines guiding principles and the research behind them for using the target language as exclusively as possible (at least 90% plus) in the classroom. In immersion programs, English is not an option. How do teachers help students learn content from all subject areas while developing students' use of the target language? Our presenters identify what works in creating comprehensible input, emphasizing learning the content of other disciplines through a second language. With a focus on younger learners, we will identify ways to adapt those strategies for beginning language learners at any age.
The courses in this module include:
- Learning Content Through the Target Language
- Exploring Culture Through the Target Language
- Maintaining Communication Through the Target Language
Run Time: 180 minutes
Professional learning certificate available upon completion for 3 contact hours!
- Tara Fortune, PhD, immersion teaching specialist and director of the Immersion Research and Professional Development Program at the Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA) at the University of Minnesota.
- Jean W. LeLoup, PhD, Spanish Professor at the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado.
- Donna Clementi, foreign language methods instructor at Lawrence University, Appleton, Wisconsin.
Discounted member price:
You could save: